Sunday, May 10, 2009

The Stranger Theme Card

Quotes: “Maman died today. Or yesterday maybe, I don’t know.”
“She was right. There was no way out.”
“I said that people never change their lives, that in any case one life was as good as another...”
“I told her it didn’t mean anything but that I didn’t think so.”
“As if that blind rage had washed me clean, rid me of hope...I opened myself to the gentle indifference of the world.”

Vehicles: Symbolism- In the form of the sun,etc.
Irony- Meursalt’s actions regarding his life, his mother, and his execution.
Imagery
Characterization

Conflicts: Meursault vs. Society
Meursault vs. The Court System
Raymond vs. His mistress and the Arab

Subjects:Love and sex, Conformity and anarchy, and the Irrationality of society.

Themes: 1. Truth
2. There is no lasting piece.

Summary: Meursault, a young and seemingly unfeeling man subconsciously refuses to conform to society’s accepted ideals. Having no true purpose he later murders an Arab and is sentenced to death. He awaits execution and thinks of his life and the world.

Title’s Significance: The Stranger refers to Meursault’s inability to blend with society, as well as his lack of desire to feel and be human.

Major Characters: Meursault, Raymond Sintes, Marie Cardona

No comments: